Windows Update is a feature that is included in all the Windows operating systems from Windows 98. This is a default feature and it is integrated in the operating system. This feature will be configured during the installation of the OS. The Automatic Updates feature will be turned on by default and it will connect to the Internet and will check for the available updates. In the default settings, the updates will be installed automatically, but the users can change these settings. The user can disable the feature, make it install the update only after getting permission, and so on.
The malware program will mimic like the genuine Windows Update to get installed in the computer and you should be very much careful while installing the update. To prevent this, the user can disable the automatic download and installation of the available updates. The steps to disable Windows Update without encountering any Microsoft problems are explained below in this article.
- Turn on your computer, click on Start button, and choose Windows Update. You will be able to find this in the Start menu. The System & Maintenance: Windows Update windows will be opened.
- Select the Change Settings link that is located on the left pane.
- Now you can choose the radio button that is located in front of the option that you need to select. The options that are available will be Download Updates But Let Me Choose Whether to Install Them, Install Updates Automatically, Check for Updates but Let Me Choose Whether to Download and Install Them, and Never Check for Updates.
- Select the drop down that is labeled Install New Updates. From here, you will be able to choose a frequency in which the OS checks for the available updates.
- If you need to download and install the recommended updates, you will need to select the box near to the Recommended Updates area.
- After making the changes, you can click on the OK button to save the changes that you have made. Doing this will close the window and the changes will be saved.
These are the steps to fix issues in the Microsoft Windows Update program. You should be careful while doing the steps, so that you do not encounter any Microsoft problems. If you have any doubts in any of the steps that are explained above, you can contact the Windows help and support team.