Microsoft Outlook is a news and email client that is used by people to send and receive emails from any account that uses the POP3 algorithm. For instance, you might come across some issues like they might appear to be coded in HTML but you might find unexpected characters such as exclamations and other special characters. This happens, when the encoding setting is set to load the email in the default format. This issue can be resolved by changing the Microsoft Outlook encoding.
- Launch Outlook express. Click on the Start button in the desktop, from the menu click on All Programs and then click on Microsoft and then click on Outlook Express from the ensuing menu.
- You would find the menu bar to the top of the Outlook Express Window. Click on Tools from the menu bar and from the drop down menu, select Options, which would open the Options dialogue window.
- From the Options window, highlight the Read tab and then click on the International Settings button. The International Settings dialogue window opens.
- If the check box with the label Use Default Encoding For All Incoming Messages is checked, uncheck the same. Click on Ok and then Close the window.
- To complete the process of changing encoding, click on Ok from the Options dialogue window.
In case you want to encode just one message, follow these instructions
- Launch the program from the Start menu.
- Click on the Tools menu and then click on Options from the drop down menu.
- Click on the Mail Format option and then select the option International Options.
- You will find an option that says Auto-Select encoding for Outgoing messages, if the option is not checked, then check the option by clicking on it.
- From the message window that you are planning to send, click on the Format menu and then select the Encoding option, then you have several options to choose depending on the type of coding you want.
Microsoft Outlook Express is a great application bundled with various versions of Windows operating system right from Windows 98 to Windows Server 2003. Windows Mail came after Microsoft Outlook Express. Even though you might come across many Microsoft Problems in Windows OS, there are plenty of tools to solve issues that surface up in Microsoft Outlook. ScanPST is one such tool that helps resolve many such Microsoft Problems related to Outlook.