If you add a new user to a group in Windows, he might not be able to access the network resources and applications available to the group unless the security token of the group is updated. The controller of the domain assigns security tokens to group members based on the users listed in the group membership cache of the domain server. This article contains instructions for updating the Windows security token.
Microsoft support instructions
Mentioned below are the instructions recommended by the Microsoft support team intended to assist you in the process of updating the Windows security token without rebooting your computer.
- Start off by logging into the domain controller in which the user is lacking the proper security token.
- Click on the Windows “Start” button, and select the option which says “Run” from the Start menu.
- Open the command prompt of your operating system. To do this, type “cmd” without quotations in the run text box, and hit the “Ok” button.
- Now you need to open the Microsoft LDP support tool. To do this, enter “IDP” in the command prompt, and hit the “Enter” key.
- Click on the option labeled “Connections” which you can see in the LDP application window, and select “Connect”. This will open up the LDP “Servers” box.
- Specify the server that you need to modify. Enter the type of the domain server that handles the group membership cache, and hit the “Ok” button.
- After that, locate and click on the option titled “Blind” located from the LDP application window. The “Users” dialog box will now open up.
- Provide the required information in the respective text boxes. Enter “Administrator” in the “User” box, and the respective administrator password in the “Password” box. Hit the “Ok” button to continue.
- Select the option which says “Browse” from the LDP application window. Click on “Modify” from the given menu. This will open up the “Attribute” window.
- It’s time to specify the task that needs to be modified. Enter “updatecachedmemberships” in the attribute window, and type “1” in the “Value” box.
- Finally, update cache memberships. To do this, mark the check box which says “Extended”, and click on the option “Run”.
That’s all with the instructions for updating the Windows Security token. Have a nice day!